International Photo Contest
- The Upper Iowa University International Photo Contest (hereafter referred to as “Photo Contest”) is sponsored by Upper Iowa University, 605 Washington St, PO Box 1857, Fayette, IA, 52142, USA.
- Any high school or university student, aged 15-22, may participate.
- Relatives of Upper Iowa University may participate but are not eligible to win prizes.
- By submitting a photo, the participants confirm that they own the picture and that they took the picture themselves. They are also confirming that participating in this contest is not illegal or in violation of any law in their own country or area of residence.
- Unless otherwise stated, the entry period for each monthly contest will be from 12:00 AM CST on the first of the month to 11:59 PM CST on the last day of the month. The timeclock of Upper Iowa University is considered to be the official time. Any picture submitted after the entry period is over will be automatically entered for the next month’s contest, regardless of theme. If no contest is being held in the subsequent month, the entry will be rejected.
How to Enter
- In order to enter the Photo Contest, students must be from a participating high school or university. In order to become a participating school, a member of the staff or faculty of that high school or university must email email@example.com, preferably from a school email address, and indicate that they would like their school to participate and that they are agreeing to act as the school representative for the Photo Contest. The school representative’s name will be used when students enter the contest as proof that they attend that school. The school representative may be contacted on occasion to confirm that a particular entrant is a student that their school. All prizes and other materials will be mailed to the school representative at the school’s address.
- If a photo is submitted by a student who does not attend a participating school, that student will be contacted by email and told to have a staff or faculty member email firstname.lastname@example.org and agree to act as a school representative. Their photo entry will be held until the email from a school representative at their school has been received. If the entry period for that month’s contest ends before the school representative’s email is received, the entry will be rejected.
- Students may enter the Photo Contest at any time during the entry period (see above) by visiting , filling in the required fields and uploading their picture. Required information is: First Name, Last Name, Age, School Name, School Representative’s Name, Country, Email Address. All information should be written in the Latin alphabet (not another writing system). Photos that are submitted in any form besides the official website will not be considered for the Photo Contest.
What to Enter
- Photos should follow the current month’s theme, although the entrants may interpret that theme in various ways. Photos will not be rejected because of theme.
- Each student may submit one photo per month to the Photo Contest.
- Minimal photo editing is allowed, although no filters or any extensive or noticeable editing should be used. No text should appear on the pictures and composite pictures or anything created from multiple photos in photo editing software will not be approved.
- Photos that portray nudity, sexual acts, obscenity, violence, alcohol or drug use, or anything else deemed inappropriate will be rejected as entries. Determination of what is deemed inappropriate is based on the discretion of the administrators of the Photo Contest.
Judging and Prizes
- Each month’s contest will be judged by a panel of three judges taken from the Upper Iowa University faculty or staff and outside media sources.
- Judging will take place after the end of the month and the close of that month’s contest. Winners will be announced on the 10th of the next month, unless otherwise stated.
- There will be three winners each month (i.e. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place), who will receive prizes and certificates, as well as three honorable mentions, who will only receive certificates. Winners and honorable mentions will be contacted prior to the public announcement.
- All prizes are awarded as is and substitute prizes or the cash value of prizes will not be given. In the case of clothing being given as prizes, winners will be contacted for their size before the prizes are mailed. However, Upper Iowa University cannot exchange clothing if the size is not correct.
- Prizes and certificates will be mailed to the school representative at the school’s address. The school representative will be responsible for giving the prizes and certificates to the winning students.
- Prizes will be announced at the beginning of each entry period, along with that month’s theme.
- Students who have won a prize (not including honorable mentions) will not be eligible to win a prize for the next two contest periods, although they may win honorable mentions.
Consent to Contact
- By participating in this Photo Contest, entrants agree to being contacted by Upper Iowa University with admissions information. Students may email email@example.com in order to opt out of being contacted.
Ownership and Use of Photographs
- Upon submitting photos to the Photo Contest, students must certify that they are the owners of the photo and that they took the picture themselves.
- After submitting photos to the Photo Contest, the student retains all ownership of the photo and Upper Iowa University will not share, sell, or use the pictures for any commercial enterprise.
- By submitting a photo to the Photo Contest, the student agrees to let Upper Iowa University use the photo, with or without attribution, in promotional material for the Photo Contest.
- Upper Iowa University will not share any information collected through the Photo Contest with any outside party or institution without the student’s express consent.
- In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Photo Contest is impaired in any way, Upper Iowa University may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the Photo Contest to address the impairment and then resume the Photo Contest; or (b) award the prizes from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment. Upper Iowa University reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify and seek damages from any individual who tampers with the operation of the Photo Contest, violates these Official Rules, or acts in a disruptive or unsportsmanlike manner.
- Any failure on the part of the Photo Contest administrators to enforce any term of the Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
- In the event of a dispute as to the owner of a photo used as a contest entry, the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter will be deemed to be the owner. The Photo Contest is subject to federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.
Release and Limitations of Liability
- By entering, you agree to release and hold harmless Upper Iowa University and each of its respective officers, directors, employees, and agents from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Photo Contest or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the Photo Contest; (b) technical errors; (c) printing errors; (d) late or undelivered mail; (e) errors in the administration of the Photo Contest; or (f) injury or damage to persons or property. You waive the right to claim any attorneys’ fees and any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
Summary of Rules
This summary below is only for convenience. The official rules are above.
- This photo contest is hosted by Upper Iowa University
- High school or university students (15-22 years old) can enter.
- You can only enter a picture that you took yourself.
- You can only enter one picture per contest.
- You can enter a picture any time during the month, unless we say something different.
- Every school has to have a teacher or staff member as a contact person. When you enter a picture, you will have to fill in that teacher’s name to prove you go to that school. If your school doesn’t have a contact person and you want to participate, you have to have a teacher or staff member from you school send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org first.
- To submit a picture, go to , upload your picture and enter your full name, age, school name, school contact person’s name, country, and email address.
- Don’t use filters or any heavy photo editing. Don’t submit any pictures with sex, drugs, violence, or anything else bad.
- There are 3 judges who will choose a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winner every month, as well as 3 honorable mentions. The winners will get prizes and the winners and honorable mentions will get certificates.
- We will mail all prizes and certificates to your school.
- When you enter the contest, you give Upper Iowa University permission to email you about admission to the university. If you don’t want to be contacted, send an email to email@example.com.
- You are still the owner of any picture you submit to the contest and we won’t sell your picture or use it to make money. We might use it to promote the Photo Contest though.
- We won’t share your email address or any other information with anyone outside Upper Iowa University without your permission.
- You can’t sue Upper Iowa University if something goes wrong.